Abdominal pain is the uncomfortable sensation or discomfort in your abdominal area. Most people will get a belly ache at least sometimes in their lives. In most cases, it may subsidize it on its own. Or your healthcare providers will prescribe medications.
Abdominal pain should not be taken lightly, as it can be a sign of some underlying health condition. In most cases, it is not serious, but if the intensity is too severe and there are too frequent episodes, it can be a sign of some serious underlying health condition. Therefore you must consult with a health care provider. To get an expert opinion, you can visit an Internal Medicine specialist in Lahore.
What Are The Types of Abdominal Pain?
There are several types of abdominal pain, depending upon how quickly it starts and how long it lasts. They can be classified as follows:
Acute Abdominal Pain
It is the type of abdominal pain in which the pain comes in a few hours to days, accompanied by other symptoms.
Chronic Abdominal Pain
It is the type of abdominal pain that remains for a long time and may come and go.
Progressive Abdominal Pain
It is the type of abdominal pain that worsens by the passage of time and is accompanied by various other symptoms.
What Are The Causes of Abdominal Pain?
There can be various causes of abdominal pain. Mild or severe abdominal pain can be discomforting and affects your day-to-day activities.
Most usually, it occurs due to food poisoning, a stomach infection, gastroesophageal reflux disease, in women due to menstrual cramps. Along with these, various other reasons cause abdominal pain, they can be enlisted as:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Urinary tract infection
- Abdominal muscle strain
- Food poisoning
- Food allergies
Abdominal pain can also occur due to lactose intolerance- a condition in which your body can not digest lactose. The sources of lactose are yogurt, cheese, ice cream, cow’s milk, and goat’s milk. It can also be found in foods and beverages like bread, cereals, salad dressings, and mixes for baked goods. Whenever buying any products, check them for a label of milk, cheese, or yogurt. Products that contain lactose usually have a label over them.
Other causes that can cause abdominal pain are:
- Hernia- a condition in which the internal organs protrude outwards from your abdominal cavity
- Kidney stones
- Endometriosis- a condition in which endometrial tissue develops outside the uterus. It can be highly painful, especially during menstruation.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)- a condition in which the stomach acid regurgitates backward towards the esophagus.
- Appendicitis- a condition in which inflammation of the appendix occurs.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm- a condition in which swelling in the abdominal main artery occurs.
- Bowel blockage or obstruction
- Cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver, bile duct, gallbladder, or immune cells
- Ovarian cancer or cysts
- Pancreatitis- a condition in which inflammation of the pancreas occurs.
- Cholecystitis- a condition in which inflammation of the gallbladder occurs.
- Low blood flow to your intestines, caused by a blocked blood vessel
- Ectopic pregnancy- a condition when a fertilized egg implants and grows outside the uterus, for example, in a Fallopian tube.
The Bottom Line
Abdominal pain can occur due to various reasons. Sometimes it can be due to serious underlying health conditions. Therefore you must visit a health care professional if it remains for a long time. To seek expert opinion, you can visit an Internal Medicine Specialist in Islamabad.